The European ICEI project is funded by the European commission and plans to deliver a set of e-infrastructure services that will be federated to form the Fenix Infrastructure. The distinguishing characteristic of this e-infrastructure is that data repositories and scalable supercomputing systems will be in close proximity and well integrated. First steps in this direction are planned to be realised in the context of the European Human Brain Project (HBP), which will be the initial prime user of this research infrastructure.
The objectives of the ICEI project can be summarized as follows:
- To perform a coordinated procurement of equipment and related maintenance services, licences for software components, and R&D services for realizing elements of the Fenix e-infrastructure;
- Design a generic e-infrastructure for the HBP, driven by its scientific use-cases and usable by other scientific communities;
- Build the e-infrastructure having the following key characteristics
- Interactive Computing Services
- Elastic access to scalable compute resources
- Federated data infrastructure;
- Establish a suitable e-infrastructure governance
- Develop a resource allocation mechanism to provide resources to HBP users and European researchers at large; and
- Assist in the expansion of the e-infrastructure to other communities that provide additional resources.